Subject: Re: 2100 questions
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/12/1997 10:36:15
On Jan 12,  1:23am, "Kevin P. Neal" wrote:
> 1) Can I mop() NetBSD, assuming I run mopd on a server? One of the VAX guys
> has a working mopd, I'm hoping I can use it to boot this 2100.

  I would think it should work, although I have never tried it.  I seem to
remember that some DECstations had problems with large kernels though.
If I get a chance, I could give this a try with a 5000/25 and a 3100; I've
also got a 2100 at work, but I think it's in pieces at the moment.

  I'm not sure you would be able to do much after booting though - NetBSD
needs some kind of root filesystem after it boots.  This is normally provided
by copying a file system image to a disk.  I would think it should also be
able to use an NFS filesystem - but I'm not sure how you would create the
exported filesystem in the first place.

> 2) Can I run the machine with no keyboard or mouse? I played with the
> environmental variables in the boot prom: no joy. I really don't want to have
> this machine sitting around with a keyboard, mouse, and terminal. Is there
> any hope? I have prom version 7.02 on the board, if that helps.

  You should be able to use the serial port for the console.  I've used the
serial port on a 3100 OK at times (depending upon the state of the serial
driver).  I think on the 3100/2100 you need to set osconsole to the number
corresponding to the serial port "slot".  I don't remember what the value
is at the moment, but I can probably take a look tomorrow when I get to
work.  There are two serial ports on the 3100/2100 and I can't remember
if they both will work as consoles or if the console is restricted to one
port.

> I think I remember NetBSD being able to use a serial console?

  It does, depending upon the state of the serial drivers - I think
Jonathan and I had them working for the 1.2 release.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant