Subject: linking probs, and more..
To: Eric <eric@lancelot.cif.rochester.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/29/1996 11:01:49
on 14 Dec 1996, Eric <eric@lancelot.cif.rochester.edu> wrote:

>Anyway, everything looks pretty good except for a couple of things:
>
>I installed the base.tar.gz and comp.tar.gz from the latest snapshot on
>ftp.netbsd.org. After creating crtn.o I can compile and link programs,
>but on the linking stage I get many messages that look like:
>
>ld: write.o: needs all files compiled with -fPIC
>ld: write.o: uses different e_flags (0x0) fields than previous modules (0x3)

Yup, all the syscall stubs in the snapshot  were compiled with the wrong flags...

>Incidentally, does anyone have a working tcsh?

The one from deshaw.com worked fine for me, when compiled static
using the non-snapshot user-land.

>The ultrix tcsh dies in flaky ways.

Yep, it's a job-control incompatbility.  SunOS tcsh mis-behaves
the same way under NetbSD, or at least it did with 1.2-Beta last I
tried.

>Also, is it yet possible to compile a kernel under pmax/netbsd? Do I
>need anything I wouldn't already have if I've been supping current
>kernel source from sup.netbsd.org? I'd like to build a kernel that
>doesn't ask for its root device on bootup.

Yes. You should be able to  just configure a kernel (e.g., based on
one of  the model-specific kernels) and go.  The kernel Makefile
_should_ work with the shared-lib snapshot; if it doesn't, ping me...