Subject: My new MAXINE: how best to bootstrap?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Cousins <kevinc@vast.unsw.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/19/1996 17:57:57
I've just gotten my hands on a DECstation 5000/20, equipped with 16 MB
RAM, a 200 MB HDD, a greyscale monitor, and an Ethernet transceiver.
The network here at work is populated by Windows NT boxen, plus one or
two SPARC machines, which can only access as an ordinary user, and
there's also one Pentium PC-clone which has as one of its multi-boot
options LynxOS, a real-time UN*X-like suite.

Now!  When I hook up my MAXINE, and after I enter `boot' at an `R>'
prompt, it attempts to boot Ultrix 4.4, but gets as far starting
various network daemons and then more or less locks up.  Essentially,
it has been shifted from God-only-knows-what subnet, and I have no
idea of where it is attempting to use as a ypmaster, etc..  In fact, I
know nothing at all about the current net configuration of this
machine, and I'd like to remedy that by dictating my own!

Hitting C-\ during fsck drops it back to the boot PROM prompt, after
tantilisingly suggesting it might drop me into single user mode.

I have a `netbsd.ecoff', and a `miniroot-1.2', waiting for when I
might be able to tftp them onto my machine, but the only potential
`helper' machine that I am aware of is the Pentium, but it doesn't
offer anything for RARP, and I can not seem to glean some info on a
clever format for a bootparams file.

Any clues that direct me towards getting any further in bootstrapping
NetBSD onto my MAXINE box will be greatly appreciated.

--

--Kevin.
kevinc@vast.unsw.edu.au

GNU `Spook Baffler' keywords appear below:
FBI NORAD terrorist KGB Serbian Delta Force Rule Psix cryptographic
class struggle colonel radar Saddam Hussein BATF Marxist Ft. Meade