Subject: Re: X servers...
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/16/1996 23:55:02
> (Merging the
> pmax and Alpha framebuffer drivers would be nice, too.)

So, for what it's worth:

I have absolutely no intention of making the Alpha frame buffers
support the DEC ws interface.  I want a frame buffer interface that's
clean, machine-independent, and can be used by lots of NetBSD ports,
and I really don't think cloning one vendor's interface is likely to
yeild one that'll be useful for all ports.

I am, however, quite willing to steal good ideas from the 'ws'
interface.  The memory-mapped event queues may be one of them, but i
don't know anything about how they work.

It sounds like the memory-mapped event queues can be added later.  At
least, they can easily be if it's a per keyboard- and mouse-driver
event queue.  If it's one single queue, i'm not too interested in it,
because i'd like to be able to support multiple keyboards and mice
with multiple different owners, i.e. two completely different X
servers running at the same time, being run by different users.  That
may sound weird, but it's actually realistic for e.g. the mac port (if
you've got enough hardware 8-), and will probably become realistic for
other ports when firewire, USB, and other 'desktop busses' start
taking over the market.  (I don't necessarily think it should be done,
but don't want to be deciding that for somebody else, either.  8-)

chris