Subject: Installing Net/BSD 1.2 onto Decstations from ZIP works great
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/04/1996 17:03:22
Having gone thru the grief of installing from multiple drives to my 5k/240,
I've now built a bootable
zip disk with all the tarballs and install tools.  Everything one needs to
install NetBSD onto PMAX
on one little 100MB floppy.

It will boot right up into single user mode from a prom boot prompt.  Makes
installation a breeze.
With all of the tarballs, tools and a Zip(abled) kernel, there is still 40
megs of space free on the
zip filesystem.  Has all the boot blocks in place and is all you need to
install the os.

The goal here was to make installing NetBSD simple and fast on our other 9
decstations.  I'm
convinced now the Zip is the floppy that pmax should have had all along.

If anyone is interested in this, the filesystem image could easily be
chopped up and written
to the zip from some other box.

Bill

---: