Subject: NetBSD running on 5k/240! Problems trying to build kernel though
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/03/1996 10:34:13
Many thanks to Kevin Lahie, Jonathan Stone and Jason Thorpe yesterday.

Jonathan, I did as you suggested and copied the tarballs over to my /usr
fs, then wrote the miniroot over my Ultrix fs, (after several prayers) and
then booted the miniroot off of the Ultrix drive.  I then was able to
mount the a partition of my target Netbsd drive and populate it.

I've got a running Netbsd box at the moment.  Still have some problems
to work out, but it looks good so far.  Since I'm using the miniroot
kernel, I guessed (after reading the boot and init man pages) that a
'autoboot' flag may be useful and sure enough that brought me to
multi-user mode with only one prompt, asking for which root drive.
Not sure what flag to specify here to keep it from asking which
drive.

After untarring the kernel sources, I'm not sure what the procedures are
to build a kernel, the docs and web pages are specific to i386, but don't
seem to apply here.  If someone could point me in the right direct
direction, I would very appreciative.

I've tried the following, but I'm not sure I'm going in the right
direction.

# cd /usr/src/sys
# make
===> arch/pmax
"Makefile", line 7: Could not find ../kern/Make.tags.inc
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Also, I'm trying to find the patch to said sources (1.2) that would allow
me to use my epson ZIP drive as a bootable device (id's 5 or 6).

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

---:
Bill Harris
Director of Systems, Internet America