Subject: Re: Spin up a drive?
To: H. Jared Agnew <jagnew@vtaix.cc.vt.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/28/1996 10:33:00
On Nov 28, 12:11am, "H. Jared Agnew" wrote:
>   I dont have the manuals to the DecStation 5000/25, might anyone know
> what the command is to spin up a drive at the boot prompt.  I'm booting
> diskless and I would like the kernel to ID the disk, it only does it if I
> do a warm reboot, I just need to spin the drive up off a cold boot??

  I don't know of a specific command to spin up the drives, but an easy
alternative is to attempt to boot off that drive.  The boot command will
spin up the drive before attempting to boot from it.  If there is no valid
filesystem and kernel on that disk, it should error out.  If it does
actually start booting, you should be able to abort the boot and then
boot off the normal kernel.

  Another alternative is to configure the drive to spinup on power.  The
rzdisk utility on Ultrix can do this on drives that use a DEC-specific
mode page.  I've also written a rather crude program for NetBSD that
can also do this.

  I've noticed that the current disk driver is unable to deal with my
RZ24 drives.  The driver will wait for the drives to spin up, but then
gets an error when trying to identify them.  I haven't bothered to try
to figure out what the problem is and fix it.  I'd rather spend my time
on getting the MI scsi stuff working - if I could ever find the time.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant