Subject: Re: Installation Problems on a DECStation 5000/25
To: Robert Rusek <rusek@alpha.fdu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/26/1996 08:47:29
>Since this I had also found out that I need to run MAKEDEV in the
>/dev directory for my DECStation 5000 client.  The problem with this
>is that I am hosting this nfs_root from a Linux helper machine.  How
>do I create the needed /dev on the Linux box for the Decstation.

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Running the MAKEDEV script under Linux, in the ..../dev directory that ends
up being mounted as /dev by the Decstation, *should* just work.
MAKEDEV just does mknod to create the special file nodes; access to
those over NFS should return the correct special block/char device
major and minor numbers.

One place where I'm told this fails is with a Digital Unix (nee OSF/1)
NFS boot server.  Digital Unix internally swizzles the major/minor
numbers, or some such.  I haven't heard of any similar problems
under Linux, though.

--Jonathan