Subject: unable to build libc with gcc from source tree
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Yu <tlyu@MIT.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/28/1996 20:47:12
What happened: I compiled and built the entire source distribution
(SUP from a day or two ago), starting from the 1.2alpha binary
distribution.  This required some minor Makefile tweaking.  I
installed it.  So far, so good.

I then supped today's sources and tried to build them.  They failed
because the __warn_references macro uses the __attribute__ keyword of
gcc applied to a section... and the gcc that ships in the source tree
doesn't define ASM_OUPUT_SECTION_NAME for mips, and thus fails
miserably to compile the backwards-compatibility files of libc.

Why is there a compiler in the source tree that cannot compile the
libc in the same source tree?  Is there any good reason for this?

And also, the same old question that has been raised many times, how
do I get shared library support for the pmax?  Should I pick up a
recent FSF copy of gcc and binutils and hope they work?

---Tom