Subject: trouble building elf2aout from source
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/08/1996 20:52:18
Terry Friedrichsen (terry@venus.sunquest.com) writes:

[elf2aout fails to build]

The machine/elf.h mixup is fixed in 1.2-Beta and in a later snapshot.
(The elf.h.dsg symlink was an accidental hiccough,  due to me
debugging pre-1.1 ELF support.)

I think the list of outstanding NetBSD/pmax problems _still_ starts with
"doesn't use MI scsi" :).  However, the point is well taken. I  (or
someone with more time) should compile a TODO list and put it  on the
web page. Volunteers can then pick bits.

My candidate list:
	* r4000 support.

	* shared-binary userland (Manuel Bouyer  has expressed interest)

	* X11R6.1 X server (no good candidates yet). The vax
	  port people might be interested here too; the hardware is
	  the same in many instances, as is the Ultrix softawre interface
	  to framebuffers.

	* Use the MI SCSI code. This means finding, and fixing, the interrupt
	  latency problems that  make the IOASIC scatter/gather DMA
	  (which is done with double-buffered DMA pointer registers)
	  unusable for more than 2 pages.  Another fix is needed for
	  the SII. I dunno if the vax ports have done anything about this.

	* Better installation tools
	  this may come down to better documentation...

	* More precompiled software packages

Anyone want to add more?