Subject: Re: Problems with video.
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@jake.csh.rit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/25/1996 16:35:16
In message <9606251916.AA04726@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>, you said:
;On Jun 25,  1:01pm, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
;} It's a 3100 (Monochrome), and we've tried attaching it to a variety of displays,
;} which either don't sync, or have the same result.
;}
;} Note: I don't have a monochrome display that sync with it, so we've tried using
;} a few color displays with it. Now here's the kicker, it works perfectly fine in
;} Ultrix. Is the Monochrome video not supported in the miniroot?
;
;  Which miniroot are you using?  The 1.1 kernel did not support the 3100/2100
;monochrome board [which is one of the main reasons I started working on the
;pmax port - I had to build a new kernel that would work on a 2100 with a
;monochrome display].
;
;} I've also tried using the same miniroot on a DS5k/125 using a PMAG B, a PMAGB-B
;} (the 119MHz version), and a PMAG E. After it reaches "Starting at 0xhexaddress"
;} it just hangs. Is this a problem with the video support for the 100-series?
;
;  What type of memory and how much do you have?  There is a problem with
;the 5000/1xx machines if they have 32MB of 2MB SIMMS.  I think there is
;a fix for this problem and it should make it into the 1.2 release.

Yes, That was the problem with the 5000, when I removed a bank of SIMMS,
it booted fine.

Thanks,
Jeff