Subject: None
To: Matt Moore <moore@shemp.bucks.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/19/1996 16:26:05
Matt more asks
[[self-described newbie questions that should be in a HOWTO]]

>to be working great so far. I'm sort of a newbie and I have a couple
>of thousand questions but here's 2 I'd really like to know for now:

>   1. The system console is a VRT19-HA / PMAG GB-B. The terminal type
>      comes up as "unknown" on boot. What should it be set as? I tried
>      a few VTxxx's but its *real* ugly.

"sun" works; the NetBSD rcons raster-graphic glass-tty-on-framebuffer
started life as a sun console emulator.  And least it's cursor-addressible,
unlike the native Ultrix glass-tty console emulation.

>   2. Is there a port of X11 around somewhere for this setup? If so
>      where might I find it?

There's an X11R5 (server) port from Arne Juul; try FTP to pvv.unit.no.
I use X11R6 binaries, compiled for Ultrix (i.e., native Ultrix
binaries  running in emulation mode.)  Everything but xconsole and
the X server itself seem to work, though xdm has problems finding
Ultrix's hashed password file, and also talking to the NetBSD YP
server.  The Ultrix YP implementation seems to have  a consistent
byte-order bug in how it locates the  YP server, so putting YP into
/emul/ultrix/etc/svc.conf doesn't help as much as one would expect.

At some point after 1.2 is out, I'd like to see  NetBSD/pmax using shared
binaries.  I think that would be a good time to put together an X11R6
binary kit.  Maunel Bouyer (manuel@ensta.fr) is, I beleive already
running with a shared-library userland, including X binaries, from the
OpenBSD port.

--Jonathan