Subject: Re: booting from tftp hassles.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@stat.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/31/1996 10:34:34
Simon Burge writes:

 > Any ideas anyone?

Yes.  In fact, some of our 5000/120s give the same error message.

You might remember Jonathan saying that certain revisions of the 5000
series roms have problems booting via tftp.  I think we have the
problem roms.

I ran into this a few months ago.  On a hunch (an apparently correct
one), I assumed that this problem might be due to the kernel being
larger than the 5k boot roms expect, so I built a stripped down kernel
(cut out things like KTRACE, COMPAT_ULTRIX, MFS, NFS_SERVER, etc) &
tried that.  The smaller kernel boots fine on my 5k/120.

Hope this helps,

Drew