Subject: Re: Installing on 5000/120
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@skypoint.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/24/1996 23:18:20
  I have a 5000/120 that had ultrix on it until the drives got
fried.  Since we didn't have a backup copy of Ultrix, the only
alternative at this point is to install NetBSD.

  I was planning on installing NetBSD soon, but I'm not exactly sure
which way I should install it now that copying the boot files from
Ultrix is not an option.

  Here are the possibilities I have thought up with the resources
available.  I would appreciate any suggestions on which one I should
try first (or any other ideas):

1)  directly connecting the disk to another Ultrix machine and
writing the boot label & boot files from there.  The main problem
with this is that while I'm fairly sure that the owner of said
machine will let me use it for a while, I don't think that there is
much disk space free.  Also, it's only connected to the internet by a
9600 baud modem, so download time might make it a less desirable
option (on the other hand, I may be able to write the files to tape
from my pc at home...).

2)  network boot the dec and retrieve the files from a PowerMAC
running Mach10 (no, I didn't design this network :).  Only problem
with this is that I've never booted from a network before, and I
definatly don't know how to set up Mach10 for one.  Still, it
shouldn't be that different from a normal unix machine.

3)  I also have a i386/NT machine at home that I could probably use
to write the boot files to a tape drive if it would be possible to
boot them.  The tape drive on the PC  is QIC-40/80; I'm not sure what
kind the dec has.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@skypoint.com