Subject: Re: Still problems with booting a 5000/120
To: Helge MEINHARD, CERN-ECP/FEX <Helge.Meinhard@cern.ch>
From: Ed Jones <ejones@sdl.psych.wright.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/17/1996 17:33:51
On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Helge MEINHARD, CERN-ECP/FEX wrote:

> Since my last posting to this list, I've made small steps of progress in
> that the 1.1 kernel from Arne's miniroot starts booting at least (I had
> to re-install Ultrix first in order to get rid of the Ultrix disklabel,
> it seems). The symptoms are the following now:
>
> 1) With 32 MB of memory, the boot hangs already after the line 'Starting
>    at 0x80030000'. I've seen this with the 0.9 kernel already. If I remove
>    8 MB, the 0.9 kernel works fine, and the 1.1 one carries on.
>
> 2) With 24 MB, the 1.1 kernel prints the line 'tcattach: 3MIN
>    Turbochannel' twice and hangs then.
>
> Any idea what goes wrong, and how to fix it?
>
> I'm using a 5000/120 with 2 MB SIMMS, which fill either 2x6 of the 2x8
> slots (for the 24 MB configuration) or all slots (for the 32 MB one).

I can't offer much in the way of technical advice here other than to
say, I can boot a 5000/125 and 5000/133 with 24MB ram just fine.
Just to be safe, I recommend you run the memory exercizers under ultrix
extensivly to see if perhaps something might be in the least bit flaky.
I'd also remove all the memory simms, clean the contacts GENTLY with
a soft pencil eraser and make sure no dust is in any of the simm sockets.
Then I'd reinstall and try again. If none of that works, I can send you
a kernel that I have built recently. Good luck.

* Ed Jones --  System Dweeb           |     ejones@sdl.psych.wright.edu    *
* Signal Detection Lab                |     ejones@desire.wright.edu       *
* Department of Psychology            |     ejones@wsu  (Bitnet)           *
* Ed Jones -- Graduate Student        | This is your world in which we     *
* Department of Economics	      |	grow, and we will grow to hate you *
* Wright State University             |                                    *