Subject: Re: serial ports/ttys on pmax
To: None <bad@wireless.wdc.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/12/1996 22:54:42
On Mon, 11 Mar 1996 bad@wireless.wdc.net wrote:

> As you know, from my previous questions, I am seriously considering
> switching from Ultrix 4.4 to NetBSD on my pmax, but I forgot to ask about
> the serial tty code.
>
> I currently run ppp-2.2.0e under Ultrix on my Pmax to link to another
> machine on my network at home and don't want to lose this link because of
> switching.
>
> Does the NetBSD/pmax code work well enough that I can just recompile ppp
> for NetBSD and expect it to work?

I'm lurking on this list as I know of many DecStations which will be
needing NetBSD in the future. But I am running NetBSD on my Mac, and have
worked on the serial drivers for the mac.

All ports which use the z8530 or equivelents (sun, sparc, mac68k, pmax, and
atari) are currently using drivers based on an origonal sun or sparc driver.
These drivers are now very solid on the mac; people have gotten ppp to run at
57600 reliably (thogh I wonder if the cpu will be able to do much else at
that point).

I don't know how fast the pmax ports will run, but the driver and kernel
ppp support should be sufficiently solid to keep things running.

Take care,

Bill