Subject: None
To: None <gritton@byu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/12/1996 16:07:25
>> The mailing list seems geared toward those you already have an
>> installed system. I've seen at least one directly hostile message
>> telling those of us who haven't been able to get a running system that
>> it's just because we're basically too stupid.

>Argh.   Please bear in mind that this list is open to everybody, and
>the person who flamed you probably didn't do so in an official
>capacity.   I am a bit of a flamer myself, but I do know that the
>install process is a pain, so I don't think I have flamed anybody for
>having trouble with it.   If I did flame you, I'm sorry.

>Part of the problem here is that the install process really is a pain,
>and no amount of clever documentation is going to fix that.  Until
>somebody (maybe me) gets their butt in gear and comes up with
>something a bit easier, there are going to be a lot of people having
>trouble with it.  Sigh.

It's worse than that.

There are actually two quite separate sets of instructions:
Arne's, which are quite detailed; and the Web page I wrote, which
is apparently not quite so detailed.

However we cut it, the instructions are clearly not detailed or
sufficient or correct for the potential users.   It's complicated
by the fact that when someone says the instructions
didn't work for them,

	a) It's not clear which set of instructions they're talking
	   about

	b) someone else replies that they tried it and it worked
	   fine for *them*

	c) The whole thing is too painful anyway.

At least now, someone is actively investigating net-booting and
writing instructions.  As I had asserted earlier, this seems
to require MOP boot support on at least some machines and some PROM
revisions, so it may not be an answer for everyone.

Ted, you keep saying you might come up with time. Someday...

--Jonathan