Subject: compat_ultrix
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/05/1996 21:04:51
I'm really impressed with how good the ultrix compat code has gotten
in the last month or two.

I had a second or two to play around this afternoon & after supping &
building a kernel, I noticed the new /emul/ultrix pathname searching &
a few bug fixes.  And coolest of all, our 'bread & butter' (S-Plus)
app now at least appears to work!  I've not done anything more than
the most superficial of tests, but at least it pops up a motif window
& adds 2+2 w/o I/O trapping, which is pretty damned cool!

Since we're moving to the /emul setup that other ports use, I was
wondering how its path searching works.  Is there a description
someplace of exactly how path searching changes when /emul/ultrix is
populated?  Is there any way to force the system to search the
/emul/ultrix tree first for everything?  I'd assumed that running
commands wrapped in /emul/ultrix/bin/sh would force the system to
search /emul/ultrix first for commands, but this doesn't seem to be
true.  What I'm really after is how to avoid hacking at every single
shell script I've got (like the ones that launch mathematica, for
example) that has paths hardcoded into it...

Thanks,

Drew