Subject: Re: NFS Errors/Crashes
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/15/1996 00:13:33
On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Simon Burge wrote:

> On Jan 13, 10:19am, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
> > 	I've been doing a lot of compiling on an NFS mounted
> > partition and have noticed some wierd things.  Sometimes when
> > linking I'll get an 'I/O Error' and gcc will crap out.  If
> > I just run it again, all works fine.  My best guess is this is
> > an NFS problem, since I've never seen that behavior compiling
> > on a local disk.  Also, twice while compiling now the machine
> > has rebooted for no good reason.  That problem might be NFS
> > related too.  Unfortunately I haven't been at the console
> > when it happens to see any messages.
> >
> > 	Has anyone seen similar problems with NFS/heavy IO?
> > I'm mounting off an Ultrix 4.4 box if it makes any difference.
>
> I can only say I've seen the same behavior (mounting off a 4.4 box
> as well), but I've never looked into it.
>
> Simon.
I've had similar problems between NetBSD-i386 off of a 4.4 box - though
my problems might have been relative to clock differences - it seemed to
be related to temporarys generated on the NetBSD system vs objects made
on the Ultrix box.  I just moved to the local disk and did not really
investigate.
johnh...