Subject: Xdec ioctls
To: Carl Harris <ceharris@mal.com>
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/12/1996 17:45:34
	I've been playing with NetBSD/pmax on a Personal DECStation
5000/25 here.  I'm impressed with everything except X. :-)  In talking
with some friends we decided to see what it would take to get R6 to
build, in particular "Xdec", the X server since it supports a nice
subset of the graphics cards available.  At least it's worked fine
under Ultrix.

	It appears that all that is needed to make Xdec work is some
ioctls so it can get some information and manipulate some of the
hardware.  I went through and found all the ioctls it needs.
4 of them are already in NetBSD, but I'm not sure if the work as
Xdec expects.  Ther rest need to be added.

	I don't know anything about programming the console hardware
on these boxes, but about 1/2 of these ioctls look fairly trivial.
It would seem to me that adding them in would definately be the easiest
way to get full X support with a nice, recent, stable version of
X.

	Comments?

PIOSETKNOB
PIOSETLED
TCGETA
TCSETA
TIOCSETD
BIOSTYPE
MAP_SCREEN_AT_DEPTH
CURSOR_ON_OFF
GET_AND_MAP_EVENT_QUEUE
GET_DEPTH_INFO
GET_DEVICE_TYPE
GET_KEYBOARD_CONTROL
GET_KEYBOARD_DEFINITION
GET_KEYSYMS_AND_MODIFIERS
GET_SCREEN_INFO
GET_VISUAL_INFO
GET_WORKSTATION_INFO
LOAD_CURSOR
RECOLOR_CURSOR
RING_KEYBOARD_BELL
SET_EDGE_CONNECTION
SET_ESCAPE_BOX
SET_KEYBOARD_CONTROL
SET_MONITOR_TYPE
SET_POINTER_BOX
SET_POINTER_CONTROL
SET_POINTER_POSITION
VIDEO_ON_OFF
WRITE_COLOR_MAP

--
Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org
         System Administrator / Network Technician