Subject: xload and load averages..
To: None <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/11/1996 15:10:20
Ted Lemon writes:
>If it's looking for symbols in /vmunix, it's probably expecting
>/vmunix to be an ECOFF binary.   /netbsd is a NetBSD a.out binary.
>I'm not sure how you'd get around this, unfortunately.

Months ag, I had thought of using GNU binutils objcopy and/or
elf2ecoff to write out a vmunix - or rather emul/ultrix/vmunix -
with an ecoff symbol table for the kernel in /netbsd.

However, that won't help xload.  Ultrix (and IRIX) keep load
averag as  scaled integers, and NetBSD keeps them as floating point.

When hacking on the V-Kernel, I found a measurable win in eliminating
all FP in the kernel, and using a fixed-point load average.  I don't
know if Core would buy that, because the floating-point load averages
were, last time I looked, a machine-independent part of the kernel.