Subject: Re: installation tips
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jamie Gritton <gritton@et.byu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/02/1996 15:05:20
>   The first person to actually use and give feedback on this checklist
> will win a free beer! (You have to come to Trondheim and get it though).

   I haven't seen anyone else reply, so I'll cede my beer to anyone
else who wants to go to Trondheim and get it.

   I tried the checklist twice with the same result:

>> boot -f rz(0,2,0)netbsd
Boot: rz(0,2,0)netbsd
read beyond end of partition
open(rz(0,2,0)netbsd) failed: 11
Can't boot 'rz(0,2,0)netbsd'

   The first time I tried, i used the included sample program to get
my disk's geometry, and made a label based on that. The second time
around, to make sure the problem wasn't something wrong in my
geometry, I pretended to have the exact same geometry as used in the
checklist's examples (and used the same partition sizes). Since my
disk is bigger that the one in the example, this shouldn't be a
problem.
   Everything appeared to work perfectly until I tried to actually
boot from the installed miniroot, and got the above error.
   If I try to put the miniroot on thye 'a' partition in the original
location (with room for the 8k boot area) I get "...failed: 21"
instead, with no descriptive message included.

- James Gritton
  gritton@byu.edu