Subject: Re: "external software" (was Re: xntpd)
To: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@SigmaSoft.COM>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/02/1996 08:53:56
> sendmail is a neccecary part of most systems, unlike xntpd.

Um.  No.  I'm more likely to run xntpd on a system than sendmail,
since it's always important that my system clock be accurate, but I
see no reason to run sendmail on a diskless workstation.

As somebody else on the list mentioned, timed is utterly worthless,
and it sucks that it's integrated into programs like date.   I hate to
think what date would do if it *did* find a time server.   I think
that regardless of whether or not xntpd finds its way into the tree,
it would be a wonderful thing if timed could find its way out...

			       _MelloN_