Subject: boot blocks
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/28/1995 22:15:16
Help!  I've really shot off my foot this time.

Here's the situation:  ds3100 with an rz55 on rz0 with ultrix 4.2, and a
micropolis 1578 on rz4 with netbsd.  I was going to finally upgrade the
netbsd system with Arne J's latest binaries, so I booted up ultrix and
ran the netbsd disklabel to revise my netbsd partitions.  Then I dd'ed
Arne's miniroot onto rz4a, shut down ultrix and tried to 'boot -f
rz(0,4,0)netbsd'.  No go, the boot blocks were gone.

No problem, I still have the boot blocks I put on it back in Oct '94,
I'll do it again.  So I booted up Ultrix and dd'ed the netbsd bootblocks
onto /dev/rrz0c.  That's right, onto my ultrix system disk.

So my question is, can I 'dd if=/usr/mdec/bootblks of=/dev/rrz0c' to get
my ultrix boot blocks back?  Or is there some other incantation I need?

I know nothing of ultrix idiosyncrasies, and won't really miss it much
if I never get it back, but I'd like to have some bootable system while
I'm recreating my netbsd disk.

Thanks 1.0e6 in advance

--
Ted Spradley   tsprad@metronet.com      Usual disclaimers apply.
Information tends to drive out knowledge.  [...] many people cannot