Subject: Disklabel vs. me
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/26/1995 00:40:44
I have all the tar files on a drive, labled with NetBSD/i386, ready to use on
a 5000/25.  I used the Ultrix disklabel to put the pmax label on the drive.
I have a second drive with a partial install of NetBSD/pmax on it -- enough
to boot from it at least.

Call the drive with a bootable installation rz1, and the nonbootable but
partially partitioned drive rz0.  :)

If I boot rz1, I can get all the way to the point where I can mount
rz0a, but the Ultrix partitioning is wrong, and it seems that the ultrix
partitioning overrides NetBSD, at least according to disklabel.  I get
``open partition will move or shrink'' even if I never touch rz0 other than
to look at the label.

If I boot rz1 and enter ``rz0'' at the ``root?'' prompt, the machine
will find rz0a and even fsck it, although I still cannot write a new label
nor boot blocks.

Am I screwed or is there some chance still?  I no longer have a working
Ultrix drive, but if needed I could make one.  I can also run the Ultrix
disklabel from NetBSD, of course.

Thanks,
--Michael