Subject: pmax on a DEC3100
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/07/1995 12:50:11
OK, first of all, let me apologize ahead of time for this 'newbie'
message. Please bear with me.

I have a DECStation3100 that I would like to install an OS on, and I
heard that pmax might be just the thing.  My goals are to get some
flavor of UNIX running on it, hopefully install X-Windows, and
eventually connect it via SLIP/PPP to the Internet.  For the most part
it will crunching away on musical algorithms (don't ask), and will not
be part of a network.  An isolated, lonely, single user machine it is
destined to be.

Currently it has a 'messed-up' version of Ultrix 4.3 installed
('messed-up' in that its original incarnation involved loading X via
NFS, and so on -- something that it can't do now).

I have *never* installed any version of UNIX on anything before, and
need as much hand-holding as possible, though I am perfectly capable of
reading (and understanding) READMEs and such. Compiling and configuring
makefiles does not scare me (though it probably should!).

Could you kind folks see to helping a lost soul like myself and point me
to 'how-to' documents, and perhaps anything else that would save me a
lot of time.  Things like "Gee, you can download a compiled kernal for
that machine from..." and "I tried to do that and encountered this..."
would be really appreciated.

Thanks a whole heapin' bowlful!

Paul.