Subject: inbound telnet craziness inspired by NCSA telnet 2.[67]x ?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Parrish <nparrish@maxine.cc.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/27/1995 10:27:17
I've encountered a very annoying problem with telnetd/route/godknowswhatelse
when I telnet into my machine directly from a Mac using NCSA Telnet.  Telnet
from a unix machine works fine -- i.e. if I telnet to a unix machine from my
mac and then telnet from the unix account to my machine -- but if I telnet
directly to my machine with NCSA Telnet, routing seems to go haywire.  This
happens after any amount of time -- from a few minutes after starting the
session to an hour or so.  I monitored routing information, and the following
ensued:

# route monitor
got message of size 112
RTM_LOSING: Kernel Suspects Partitioning: len 112, pid: 0, seq 0, errno 0, flags
:<UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC>
locks:  inits:
sockaddrs: <DST,GATEWAY,NETMASK>
 angler.cc.vt.edu isb-ags.e4.cns.vt.edu default
[...]

angler is the mac in question, isb-ags is the router for my netbsd machine
(and also the mac).  Here is the routing table for the netbsd system:
# netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use  Interface
default          isb-ags.e4.cns.vt. UGS         2     5466  le0
LOCALHOST        LOCALHOST          UH          1        0  lo0
isb-ags.e4.cns.v 0:0:c:5:e7:f0      UHL         1        0  le0
maxine           LOCALHOST          UGHS        1       24  lo0

I'm using Arne's 1.1_ALPHA kernel:
# uname -a
NetBSD maxine.cc.vt.edu 1.1_ALPHA NetBSD 1.1_ALPHA (GENRIC) #6: Fri Nov 17 11:09:45 MET 1995     arnej@storm:/home/stormd/arnej/cr/usr/src/sys/arch/pmax/compile/GENRIC pmax

I was having the same sort of problems with the generic kernel on Jonathan
Stone's miniroot.  Has anyone else encountered this, or have an idea as to
what's happening here?
Thanks

--
Nathan Parrish