Subject: Re: progress thus far...
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gord Matzigkeit <gord@enci.ucalgary.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/10/1995 16:06:56

Hi!

>>>>> Arne H Juul writes:

[creative disklabeling procedure omitted]

Neat!  I'll give it a shot when I'm in position to do so again.

The only other difficulty was computing a disktab (I find the ones in
/etc/disktab on both Ultrix and NetBSD have an unreasonable number of
partitions, and make disklabel generate warnings as well).

 >> I had to do a lot of hacking to merge the latest binutils+gcc
 >> snapshot from ftp.unit.no and the ones from comp.tar.gz on
 >> ftp.unit.no.  I think I have a working ELF compiler suite now, but
 >> it took work.

 AHJ> Hmf.  It *should* have been a simple 'unpack the tar files', but
 AHJ> of course I haven't tried that myself.  Could you be more
 AHJ> specific about what you had to do?

Oho!  I should have written down the details... :(

For some reason, I thought I was just messing around, not breaking new
ground.

The first thing is that I didn't want to disturb my existing
installation, so I installed things under /apps (our /usr/local
equivalent).  Most of my problems came from porting CMU depot (a
package management system), which isn't your fault at all. ;)

The above made things with the supped /usr/src/include
tricky... again, this isn't your problem, though.

The only real problem was that your comp.tar.gz contained a
/usr/bin/lorder that omitted object files.  This is a real problem
when compiling the kernel (since libkern.o and libcompat.a are both
generated with the help of lorder).

Basically, I didn't have any fully working compile tools, so I was
trying to be very careful when installing gcc et al.

The confusion between:

mips-dec-netbsd
mipsel-elf-netbsd
mips-dec-bsd

didn't help, either.  After I figured out that all I want is
mips-dec-netbsd, things worked a lot better.

Also, in order to get your recent gcc snapshot to work with the crt0.o
from the comp.tar.gz set, I edited the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/.../specs and
changed "__start" to "start".  Otherwise, ld always gives warnings
about "__start" not being found.

 >> /bin/ps doesn't work under any circumstances:
 >>
 >> b04$ ps ps: proc size mismatch (4648 total, 656 chunks) b04$

 AHJ> Sounds like a include files/kernel/libkvm version mismatch.

That's probably due to the fact that I'm using your base.tar.gz, but
gregorio's kernel.

 AHJ> I don't think procfs is in the kernel, sure sounds like it.

Yeah.  option PROCFS gives me errors, so I'll wait 'til later, if all
I have is a missyncronized include/kernel/libkvm.

 AHJ> I'll try to get new .tar.gz packages out tonight, if you want to
 AHJ> test them.

That would be fantastic!  With my two-disk setup, it is really easy
for me to test new packages... I just newfs and untar the packages
from scratch, so I'd be more than happy to test anything you offer me.

Would you be so kind as to include a kernel in your next snapshot?  I
didn't notice one last time, so I was still using the one from
gregorio.

 >> (Also, will 1.1 be the first official release of NetBSD/pmax?)

 AHJ> Well, there probably still won't be an official installation
 AHJ> procedure, but there *will* be official .tar.gz files, for
 AHJ> whatever that is worth.

Excellent!  I hope I can help you folks work out the installation
procedure... I think the notes on www.netbsd.org are detailed enough,
but that some more information needs to be added to them in order to
make them clear.

I'd be willing to hack up some HTML sometime next week....

Between bootstrapping NetBSD/pmax and bootstrapping the GNU Hurd, I'm
having a lot of fun...

Gee, I love my job. :)

Thanks again for your help,

- --Gord

- --
   Gord Matzigkeit    | Jaques Cousteau loved programming in assembler.
gord@enci.ucalgary.ca |  PGP mail preferred... finger me for my key.
Keyprint: D5 66 08 E0 4D F4 D7 7B 8A C8 8A 9C 7F 39 25 A7 - ID 339ABEB9