Subject: Experiences with scc serial ports??
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/25/1995 01:19:46
Hi,

I'm wondering what experiences NetBSD/pmax users have had with
serial ports, particularly with the SCC driver. (That is, on
TurboChannel machines, excluding the 5k/200.)

I've  recently committed a version that fixes /bin/sh input
and output -- it used to be character-doubled, due to not giving
the SCC chip sufficient setup time between characters.  This only
seemed to happen with Bourne shell; tcsh's char-at-a-time seemed
to be slow enough that this particular bug was never tickled.

On my machine though, getty makes a horrible mess of printing
a bannter and prompting for a login name. The login screen I see
looks like:
NetBSD
       NetBSD
             NetBSD(eno.Stfor.DU(tt0
                                    loi:jot

(The host's name is "Reno.Stanford.EDU", and the login name I typed
was "jonathan".)

If I get as far as typing a bad password to login (e.g., by typing x
<linefeed> a couple of times, /bin/login seems to set up the tty state
to a point where subsequent serial I/O (for that login session) works
fine.  Subsequent getty(?) prompts seem okay, and when I login
I/O seems okay, too.

I can't tell if this is a kernel bug, an init bug, a getty bug,
or a bug in my gettytab/ttys.

I'm using a vt220 set up in 8bit, no parity mode, if it matters.