Subject: Re: First install problems
To: Ed Jones <ejones@sdl.psych.wright.edu>
From: Ed Jones <ejones@sdl.psych.wright.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/07/1995 21:26:53

> I'm trying to get a working miniroot going on my Decstation 5000/133.
> The machine has 24 Mb ram and two Quantum SCSO disk, a PMAG-BA video
> card and VR290 color monitor.
>
> I grabbed the bootblocks (rzboot and bootrz) from ss-95.07.13 on gregorio
> and put them in /usr/mdec on the ultrix disk.
> I grabbed disklabel and the binary snapshots from ftp.netbsd.org.
> I then did the following from ultrix:
> 1. disklabel -R -B /dev/rrz4c pooter
>    (where rz4 is the drive for NetBSD and pooter is the name of the machine)
> 2. dd if=miniroot of=/dev/rz4c bs=512 seek=16
>    (if I use skip=16 then it wipes out the disklabel)
>
> Then I try:  boot 3/rz4/netbsd
> It starts to boot, I see the NetBSD copyright and such, but it stops and
> locks up the machine right after it prints:
> "using 614 buffers containing 2514944 bytes of memory"
>
> Then I have to press the reset button to return to the console prompt.
> I've obviously done something wrong, but I can't figure it out, I'm stuck. :(
>  Attached is the proto file for rz3
>
> Can anyone help me out?  :)  Thanks.

Ok, I've been told that this miniroot has a problem w/ the cfb. Apparently
it hits an infinite interupt loop. So, I removed the cfb and it booted, sorta.
I was able to choose my boot device (I typed rz4) then it printed a warning
about the clock (no big suprise there) and then printed:
init: copying out flags `-s' 3
init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11

Then the machine just sits there, not doin anything. After about 5 mins
I rapidly hit the return key and the screen jumped a few lines, so it's
not a complete lockup.

So, I think my install process is working ok, I'm just not so sure about
that miniroot  ;)

Anyone care to draw up a new miniroot?  ;)  Thanks again.
* Ed Jones --  ????????????           |     ejones@sdl.psych.wright.edu    *
* Signal Detection Lab                |     ejones@desire.wright.edu       *
* Department of Psychology            |     ejones@wsu  (Bitnet)           *
* Ed Jones -- Graduate Student        | This is your world in which we     *
* Department of Economics	      |	grow, and we will grow to hate you *
* Wright State University             |                                    *