Subject: DS5000/120: Problem with disklabel
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Helge MEINHARD, Chorus, CERN-ECP <meinhard@afsmail.cern.ch>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/06/1995 16:43:50
Hi,

I've got 6 DS5000 models 25 and 120 around which have only 16 MB memory
each. I plan to install NetBSD and the X11R5 software, and strip the
software down to the bare minimum needed to run these guys as sort of an
X terminal. That way, I hope they will be more useful then as
workstations running Ultrix, when the performance is clearly limited by
the lack of memory.

I was trying with one machine (a DS5000/120) to follow the recipe of Ted
Lemon given in his mail to this list on May 4th. I've not succeeded yet
to write a label and move the boot blocks to a freshly connected SCSI
disk (IBM 1 GB) on that machine. More detailed information follows:

OS version on the machine: uname -a gives
ULTRIX dxch04.cern.ch 4.3 0 RISC

disklabel version: Fetched yesterday from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/blabla/tools,
source/binary dated March 14th, 1995

Command tried: ./disklabel -w -B rz1 rzxx
gives Memory fault(coredump)

Using different disk types like rz57 doesn't help, as doesn't recompiling
and relinking of disklabel.

Any idea?

Helge