Subject: Re: DS2100/install
To: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
From: James Lever <James.Lever@mailbox.uq.oz.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/06/1995 13:36:25
On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, Leslie Todd Masco wrote:

> Do you have any other SCSI disks around?  The install is considerably
> simpler if you have a third device -- it need only be 100MB.

I've managed to find an old 80mb seagate drive - this'll have to do. Is
it big enough??

> The reason is that you'll need a disk to put the miniroot on and then
> another to install a full root onto (unless you're happy blowing away
> Ultrix.  I was, but it's not necesarily the most comfortable feeling
> in the world).

ok, people keep talking about this miniroot.. I've looked at
ftp.netbsd.org in arch/pmax and only find the binaries, packages & tools,
which I actively ftp'd.  Where is the miniroot mentioned? (as I don't
want to have to go and make it myself)

> 	- using the ultrix disklabel, partition the disk for the miniroot
> 	   and install the miniroot with dd.  You'll need the bootblocks
> 	   to be in your /usr/mdec on the ultrix partition.

which bootblocks from where? /usr/src/??? or what? (or do I need to rip
this out of the base binary kit?

----
James Lever
Prentice Centre, University of Queensland