Subject: Re: Kernel library (libkern) Makefile glitch on pmax?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/27/1995 18:30:30
> I think this is  odious, since it means each kernel will end up
> with its own  copy of libkern.a (and libcompat.a).

Not so 'odious,' of you realize that:
	(1) one can't build 'kernel libraries' in a
		machine-independent place without special
		support for pulling in machine-specific options
		(e.g. things dealing with global pointers, FP
		regs, etc.), and,
	(2) having the libraries compile with different flags _per
		kernel_ is a useful feature.

> Worse, at least on on the pmax, the random.o for libkern.a is being
> built from the libc random.c.  This is a big lose, since
> stdlib/random.c refers to fprintf(), which the kernel doesn't have.
>
> A simple fix for that is to  move the ``.PATH: ${DIR}''
> line to be the *first*, not *last*, PATH entry in
> src/sys/lib/libkern/Makefile.

i looked at the libc path lines, and i'm not at all sure why they
should be there, at all.

cgd