Subject: booting a 3MIN
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/05/1995 03:12:42
Hey there... first of all, thanks for the answers on the pmin -> 3min
memory... and the assorted DEC MIPS trivia (I, for one, am always
fascinated about such stuff).

My problem at hand, tho:  I've got a few 5000/120s now and, of course,
want to run NetBSD on them.  Since I have many running pminen, this
shouldn't be a problem.  However...

The kernel I'm using (ftp://ftp.hks.net/NetBSD-pmax/950513-netbsd-rz0.HERD.gz)
has been confirmed to run on at least some 5000s (thanks for letting me
know, Andrew!) but when I try to boot the 3min off of a partition from
which I have successfully booted a pmin with boot 3/rz0/netbsd, it finds
the kernel, loads it, prints the copyright message, and then crashes with
the message:

	"panic: kernel wired"

What should I do?  Is the /120 supported?  I remember something about
a newer bootblock being needed at some point in the past, but would the
kernel have loaded if the bootblock were bad?

Thanks for any help,

	-- Todd, cactus@hks.net