Subject: Re: kernel compile hangs machine
To: James MacKinnon <jmack@Phys.UAlberta.Ca>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/27/1995 15:33:11
On Apr 26, 10:25pm, James MacKinnon wrote:

Describes some problems building kernels, etc...

> Does this sound like a vm problem, or something else?
>
> Is there any way to determine whether swap is actually being utilized?
>
> It feels as if the machine is just running out of vm. Is there something
> special I must do the the swap partition to prep it, or does the system
> just use it raw? (I haven't done anything other than label it as a swap
> partition).

Early on the piece, swap wasn't being used (due to the major number of
the swap device being wrong?).  I seem to remember some sort of message
being displayed during boot about "no swap space found" or some such.
I don't know if the old gregorio (spel?) kernel's we made before or
after this was fixed.  If worst comes to worst, I can compile a kernel
from -current for you, and see if that helps...

Simon.