Subject: Pmax installation maze
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leslie Todd Masco <cactus@hks.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/11/1995 20:00:45
I've spent today in the "install NetBSD to a pmax" maze.  I'm still there,
and am hoping for some help.

I'm trying to install the miniroot on a 196 MB disk.  I plan to put /usr
on a different disk, so this is the disk prototype file I used:

	type: SCSI
	disk: maxtor
	label:
	flags:
	bytes/sector: 512
	sectors/track: 1
	tracks/cylinder: 1
	sectors/cylinder: 1
	cylinders: 392056
	rpm: 3600
	interleave: 1
	trackskew: 0
	cylinderskew: 0
	headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
	track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
	drivedata: 0

	4 partitions:
	#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
	  a:   131072       16    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16
	  b:   260968   131088      swap
	  c:   392056        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16
	  d:   	    0        0    unused     1024  8192    16

In the file "ryno" (the name of the host).  First, I tried (I don't know
what the DEC name for this drive is):

1)	disklabel -R -B -b /usr/mdec/rzboot -s /usr/mdec/bootrz /dev/rrz0c ryno

On the first iteration, I attempted to use the current boot.dd by:

2)	cat boot.dd > /dev/rrz0c

This resulted in the only system that ever actually loaded a kernal.  I
then got the exception problem that others have reported with the
latest miniroot.  In later iterations, I did not do this, as disklabel
appears to be intended to take care of this itself (?).

The bootrz and rzboot are from the latest on gregorio.stanford.edu, while
the miniroot below is the valentine miniroot.  I have an Ultrix 4.4 disk
on rz1*, and am trying to install to rz0, a "Vndr MAXTOR, PID LXT-200S"
as reported by 'test -c':

3)	dd if=miniroot of=/dev/rrz0c skip=16

After doing 1,2, and 3, I got the exception problem.

What am I doing wrong?  I'd very much appreciate a clue or three on this.

BTW, I'd be willing to write a document that describes the process, once
I get the system working.

Thanks,

	-- Todd Masco, cactus@hks.net