Subject: Re: Shell on 3100 hung in thread_block
To: None <mellon@gw.home.vix.com, rnilsson@autadm02.sw.seisy.abb.se>
From: None <rnilsson@sw.seisy.abb.se>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/22/1995 19:55:26

>I've run into trouble in the past with NetBSD and 4.4BSD on the pmax
>and not enough RAM.   I thought that recent changes to the swap code
>had made life better, though.   Is your DS3100 with 8 meg of RAM
>correctly identifying its swap partition?   Does it have one
>configured?
>
>			       _MelloN_
I run the netbsd.GENERIC off one of Jonathan's miniroots on my 8M DS.
It had some 50 MByte in the 'b' partion.
On the 24M DS3100, i managed to reconfigure a kernel with a tape-drive
and 'root on rz0a swap on rz0b ...'. When trying 'swapon /dev/rz0b',
I got the 'already in use' message back. So, I reckon I got it right.

Then I added half of an RZ23 as well, and got the same lock-up.
This time when running four instances of a program accessing 8 MB of
memory in succession (one page at a time), sleeping for a while, then
touching the pages again.
So, there should be enough of virtual memory around (there is in
total 90MByte of swap configured).

I am lost, more or less...

BTW, any progress with the debugger support ?

 Regards,

    /Ralph Nilsson
    rnilsson@sw.seisy.abb.se