Subject: Re: Shell on 3100 hung in thread_block
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Donn Cave <donn@u.washington.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/21/1995 09:13:52
Quoth rnillson,
| ... So much for the silver lining, when I started
| to do some more stuff while at the same time doing some tape I/O
| (from another terminal) I experienced the same kind hang-up situation
| as when I run on my 8MB DS.

NetBSD's non-disconnectable SCSI implementation could be a factor in this.
It means that when doing tape I/O from another terminal, you can't interleave
any other SCSI I/O operation while waiting for a pending SCSI tape command
to complete.  Or any SCSI command, but tapes take long enough to be really
noticeable.  The connection would be that swapping requires SCSI I/O, and
the problem seems to relate to I/O and low memory.  Just pure BS speculation,
but I thought folks might be interested to recall this aspect of NetBSD's
SCSI support, as it is different from what they might be used to.

	donn@cac.washington.edu