Subject: Re: those dumb questions
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/16/1995 21:53:09
Ted Lemon writes:

 > Are you volunteering to write a FAQ?   I'd really appreciate it if you
 > have the time!

Err... Uh... possibly.. I'm not just sure just yet.

 > Nope.   The pty code is all in the machine-independent part of the
 > kernel.   You may just be losing because tcsh gets you out of line
 > mode.   This definitely bears investigation, though - I'm *not* having
 > this problem and I'm running the same version of tcsh.   Actually, if
 > you want, you can try my tcsh binary and see if it makes a
 > difference...

Please.  If you could upload it to the incoming directory at
ftp.isds.duke.edu I'd be happy to try it out (or you could put it on
ftp.netbsd.org with the rest of the stuff you've uploaded.)

 > > I seem to recall one must have DIAGNOSTIC or DEBUG defined to get
 > > the COMPAT_ULTRIX code to work.  Rebuilding w/o the above defened
 > > broke ultrix compatibility .. everything exits with 'bad system call.'
 > > I'm rebuilding right now to test my theory.
 >
 > This shouldn't be true.   Let me know if experimentation proves that
 > it is...

That wasn't it. Darn.  In case I'm doing something else brain damaged,
I've appended my config file.  I've not hacked at any other
configuration stuff in the pmax/conf directory, but I may be leaving
something important out.

Thanks for the help,

Drew

#
#	Hals - 16M mono DS3100  KN01 7.03
#
machine		pmax

cpu		"DS3100"
ident		HALS

# Need to set locally
timezone	5 dst
maxusers	16

# Standard system options
options		SWAPPAGER		# swap pager (anonymous and swap space)
options		VNODEPAGER		# vnode pager (mapped files)
options		DEVPAGER		# device pager (mapped devices)
options         DIAGNOSTIC              # extra kernel debugging checks
options         DEBUG                   # extra kernel debugging support
options		"COMPAT_43"		# compatibility with 4.3BSD binaries
options		KTRACE			# system call tracing support
options		"NKMEMCLUSTERS=1024"	# 4K pages in kernel malloc pool
#options	KGDB			# support for kernel gdb
#options	"KGDBRATE=19200"	# kernel gdb port rate (default 9600)
#options	"KGDBDEV=15*256+0"	# device for kernel gdb

# Filesystem options
options		FIFO		# POSIX fifo support (in all filesystems)
options		FFS,QUOTA	# fast filesystem with user and group quotas
options		NFSCLIENT	# Sun NFS-compatible filesystem (client)
options		NFSSERVER	# Sun NFS-compatible filesystem (server)

# Networking options
options		INET		# Internet protocols
options		"TCP_COMPAT_42"	# compatibility with 4.2BSD TCP/IP

# pmax specific
options		COMPAT_ULTRIX	# ultrix compatibility

#config		netbsd swap generic
config		netbsd root on rz0a swap on rz0b dumps on rz0b

controller	dc0	at nexus0 csr ?
controller	pm0	at nexus0 csr ?
controller	le0	at nexus0 csr ?
master		sii0	at nexus0 csr ?