Subject: Re: updated bootblocks on Gregorio.Stanford.EDU
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jfch@jfch.vc.cvut.cz>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/09/1995 14:23:16

> Been caught up with work a little, so I haven't had a look at things
> for a while...
>
> On Mar 7,  9:18pm, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
> > See /pub/NetBSD/pmax/mdec-march-7/README, boot-dd, rzboot and bootrz.
> >
> > These bootblocks print out somewhat more information when
> > they encounter an error.  I haven't gone into the UFS code
> > and put diagnostic messages there; but an error code from open()
> > is likely to be helpful.
> >
> > These worked for me on a 5k/200 and 5k/240, and all I changed between
> > this and the version that worked on a 3100 and a 5k/25 was adding the
> > printf()s in stand/boot.c.
>
> On the 5k/240, did you have a problem with the console serial driver
> echoing most characters twice?  I got this a while back, and went back
> to using a 5k/200.  I'm thinking about using the /240 again (it's
> faster :-), but am worried that the serial driver isn't the only thing
> that's wrong.  My kernel is built from around the end-of-January sources
> if that helps.

Valentine's kernel can work with serial console so I can using it install
the system on 5k/240. Doubled characters appeared only sometimes. There
was a little problem with lower stability of kernel. New kernel build
from source I quite stable, but cannot work with serial port also.

BTW where are sources of **really** current kernel, gcc, as, ... ?

--

				JFCh