Subject: Booting NetBSD from DecStation 5000/120
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ktwong@acs.ucalgary.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/01/1995 18:41:28
Hi.

Just recently, Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com> was kind enough to send
us a copy of the DECstation 5000/120 bootblocks.  This came in
two files,
rzboot
bootrz

I assumed we knew what we were doing, and we did:
dd if=rzboot of=/dev/rz5c bs=512
dd if=bootrz of=/dev/rz5c bs=512 seek=1

to see if the boot loader got any further than our last error.

However, from the monitor:
>>boot 3/rz5/netbsd
?IO:  3/rz5/netbsd  (bb rd)

--- end of output

So, we think that either the bootblocks we got are corrupt (since
we don't even get to the "Boot:" message), or we are doing something
terribly wrong.

The old bootcode (the one that expects parameters like: rz(0,5,0)netbsd)
works like this:

dd if=rzboot of=/dev/rz5c bs=512
dd if=bootrz of=/dev/rz5c bs=512 seek=1

and from the monitor:
>>boot 3/rz5/netbsd
Boot: 3/rz5/netbsd
boot init failed
Can't boot '3/rz5/netbsd'
--- end of output

So, any help with bootstrapping would be appreciated.

Also, could somebody send us "sum" values for each bootblock file,
especially if you send us new ones?

We get:
cd broken (the one with rz(0,5,0)netbsd parameters)
# sum rzboot
44803      1
# sum bootrz
55334      8