Subject: Why Ultrix init loses
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/29/1994 16:31:42
Ted Lemon writes:
>If you are determined, it would be a public service if you figured out
>why you're losing with init.

It should be in the port-pmax archives.

>From memory, Ultrix init defaults to going multiuser unless it gets a
flag from the kernel telling it not to.

On all other 4.3bsd derivatives [bar one], the default is to behave as
NetBSD's init does.  The exception is, not surprisingly, DEC OSF/1.
One can hack up a NetBSD kernel to _always_ pass an argument to init,
telling it whether or not to go multi-user.  I did just this, in a
``quick hack'' one-off way, but the change was never incorporated into
the NetBSD tree; the way the arguments to init got constructed changed
at about the same time, and the change was ajudged unecessary.