Subject: Re: got a kernel, now what?
To: Arnold Robbins <arnold@cc.gatech.edu>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/12/1994 13:55:23
> > What do the rest of you think?  Do you view this as useful or a
> > waste of time?
>
> I think being able to bootstrap from Ultrix *is* a good thing. Much like
> the bootstrapping off SunOS for the sparc.

Just to add some more detail:  I think that *requiring* Ultrix in order to
bootstrap is a bad thing.

> I have a ton of 5100s running Ultrix. Ideally, I'd like to mount a
> spare disk on the Ultrix box, untar a netbsd binary distribution,
> maybe install a new boot block on the new disk, and then reboot off
> the new disk.
>
> The big hold back here is that netbsd won't run read/write off of an
> Ultrix filesystem.  My impression (without having looked at code) is
> that this is a SMOP issue, i.e., nothing "major" other than someone's time
> to do.
>
> Clearly, being able to bring up a dead pmax with no OS is and still should
> be the ultimate goal.  But for someone with an already running system,
> being able to shorten the cycle could only be viewed as a good thing.

Currently, the "cat bootblocks miniroot > /dev/rz#c" method works for
almost everyone, regardless if they have Ultrix or not.

Unfortunately, it seems that the bootblocks may not work on certain models.
	Can't boot (apparently):
	5000/25  terry@venus.sunquest.com
	5000/120 simonb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au

	Can boot:
	2100	 dean@fsa.ca, explorer@iastate.edu
	3100	 hpeyerl@novatel.ca
	5000/200 jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU
	(there are other people, but I don't know what they are running)

If there is anyone that IS running NetBSD native on a 5000/25 or 5000/120
please speak up.  Also, if anyone else wants to be added/removed from the
above lists, send me e-mail.

Dean.