Subject: Re: Got a kernel, now what?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/09/1994 14:23:11
> I.e. if this stuff is added now, it should be removed later.

Yup.   It's way ugly.

Jonathan mentioned that we might want to keep it indefinitely for
Ultrix compatibility, but I think that once we're a bit farther along
with a working port, that won't be necessary.  To do an install from
Ultrix, we'd just use the GNU toolchain to build an ECOFF kernel with
a miniroot that can be booted with bootp/tftp, MOP or off of an
existing Ultrix root.  Actually, ideally we'd just burn some CDs and
boot off of them...

Bootstrapping by building a kernel with the Ultrix development system
seems like an unusually painful way to go once we have things to the
point where they're really working well.  I was impressed with how
easily I could bootstrap the '486 box in my office at work with a pair
of floppies and a net connection (modulo my SCSI problem, of course).
It seems to me that our goal should be to make the pmax install at
least that easy.

			       _MelloN_

--
Ted Lemon		      Wells Fargo Bank, Information Protection Division
mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com					+1 415 477 5045