Subject: Re: console type...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com>
From: Marc Evans <marc@destek.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/30/1994 15:44:58

> > As I recall, to run headless all that is required is that the
> > frame-buffer be removed. The set console was supposed to serve this
> > same purpose, e.g., the console could be redirected even with the
> > frame-buffer installed. It's been a LONG time since I've had to do
> > this, so I'm scraping the cobwebs away to recall what little I do...
>
> That's on DECstation 5000 machines.   The 3100 has an integrated
> frame buffer.   The only way you can get it to work is to put a
> loopback on (I believe) the mouse connector.   The 5000/xx machines
> also have an integrated frame buffer, but on them all you have to do
> to get them to use the serial console is to unplug the keyboard.

I think you are right about the keyboard/mouse. As for the FB, The 3100 can
have its FB memory removed, which makes the console code automatically look to
the com port as the console.

- Marc
Marc Evans                            WB1GRH      The Destek Group, Ltd.
E-Mail: Marc@Destek.NET                           21 Hinds Lane, Suite 23L
PGP-2.6 key available upon request                +1 603 635 3857 (voice/fax)
MIME-1.0 & Enriched-Text mail accepted            Internet Access & Services
       The XFree86[tm] Project, Inc. Industry Liason <Marc@XFree86.Org>