Subject: Re: console type...
To: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
From: Marc Evans <marc@Destek.Net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/30/1994 15:23:03
> > Wait!   If you have a DECstation 3100, you need a special loopback
> > connector in order to get it to operate headless, so your search for a
> > terminal may be in vain.   You'd be better off just getting it up to
> > the point where you can telnet in and then hacking on an XTerm on some
> > other machine.   That's what I've been doing recently.
>
> Hmm. I have have mine running headless without a loopback connector...
> I have to leave the mouse and keyboard plugged in but I don't have
> anything hooked up to the display port...

As I recall, to run headless all that is required is that the frame-buffer be
removed. The set console was supposed to serve this same purpose, e.g., the
console could be redirected even with the frame-buffer installed. It's been a
LONG time since I've had to do this, so I'm scraping the cobwebs away to
recall what little I do...

- Marc
Marc Evans                            WB1GRH      The Destek Group, Ltd.
E-Mail: Marc@Destek.NET                           21 Hinds Lane, Suite 23L
PGP-2.6 key available upon request                +1 603 635 3857 (voice/fax)
MIME-1.0 & Enriched-Text mail accepted            Internet Access & Services
       The XFree86[tm] Project, Inc. Industry Liason <Marc@XFree86.Org>