Subject: Unifying Raw and block device major numbers for pmax and vax
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/23/1994 15:36:30
Hi,

Whilst I'm not the pmax port maintainer, I seem to be the only person
really hacking on the pmax port.  The official pmax port maintainer
just committed an old change of mine, that makes the NetBSD pmax
device numbers compatible with Ultrix device major numbers.

These, in turn, are largely compatible with 4.3BSD device numbers,
on vaxe hardware old enough to have run 4.3BSD.

I think it would be great to get the NetBSD conf.c device numbers for
both pmax and vax ports closer together.  Ideally, they could even be
shared. It would also be great if both ports could share configuration
files and device driver code (e.g., for Qbus-based devices, or other
on-board peripherals that DEC used on both platforms.)

I can do the work for this on the pmax code.
Is anyone working on the vax end  interested?

--Jonathan Stone