Subject: Re: bootstrapping from ultrix
To: Arnold Robbins <arnold@cc.gatech.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/12/1994 15:30:53
On Thu, 10 Nov 1994 10:42:13 -0500   arnold@cc.gatech.edu (Arnold Robbins) wrote:
 > there's a canned sequence of instructions to do this, it would be a
 > huge help.  If someone could mail this to me, or tell me where to find
 > it, I'd appreciate it.

Here's what I did.  I have a ds3100 w/16mb and 19" color.  I used my
NetBSD/i386 machine to help me.

I took the bootblocks and miniroot files that were on gregorio.stanford.edu
which were put together by Jonathan Stone and using my i386, I did a

"cat bootblock miniroot > /dev/rsd2d"

where rsd2d was the disk that I was planning to put on my pmax.  Then I
moved the disk across and booted it:

boot -f rz(0,2,0)/netbsd

where '2' is the scsi id of the disk. It then loads the kernel and goes
through autoconfig and finally asks "Root device? " to which I answered
'rz2'.  I then got a root shell.

I had another disk that was going to be my eventual target disk as rz1.

So; I created a disklabel for it and wrote it on rz1 using 'disklabel'
which is in the miniroot somewhere.

I then newfs'd all of the partitions on rz1 and then mounted them
where I was eventually going to want them. Then I used 'pax' to
copy everything from my current root disk to my target disk. ie:

pax -w -r /usr /mnt/usr
etc etc etc.

Once I'd copied everything (kernel included) I rebooted off rz1 and
got to work.   (mount all of your filesystems here).

There was also a binary snapshot on gregorio.stanford.edu which I
put on my i386 and untarred somewhere.

On the pmax, I ifconfig'd le0 up, and then used 'rcp' to copy over
'mount_nfs' from the snapshot directory on my i386 box.  This allowed
my decstation to nfs mount the snapshot directory from my i386 which
I then used 'pax -w -r' to copy across.

Once that's done, fix up /etc/fstab, copy across a /usr/share and a
/var from some other NetBSD machine or distribution and that's pretty
much it...

Of course; that doesn't let you bring it up to multi-user but you
can then work on it reasonably... I haven't bothered to get it going
multi-user yet due to lack of time but I don't suspect it'd be all
that hard to do. just some playing around with the /etc/rc's and
such...

Dean and someone else mentioned having some problems once it tries to
run getty but I can't speak on that.

Good luck.  If you have more specific questions, I can field them in
private... I suppose I'll play with this a bit more next week and if
I can get it to come up multi-user reasonably then maybe I'll make a
cleaner image...