Subject: Re: System hangs with the disk light on
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/1994 13:57:03
> I think I've got enough of a /var tree and whatever to almost make it.
> When I hit ^D from the # prompt it runs through the /etc/rc script with
> what seems to be some measure of success and finally puts out the date
> and time and a message something like "init: kernel security level
> changed from 0 to 1", and what I would expect next is something like
> "login:", but I get nothing.
>
> I'm not completely clueless, however.  I could find no file in /etc that
> indicates which ports to put login prompts on.  In SysV it's
> /etc/inittab (which also defines "run levels").  Do y'all still use the
> same /etc/ttys as 4.3BSD?  Anyone want to suggest an entry for the
> console?

Yep, you'll want to look at ttys and gettytab.  If you are using the
serial port as a console you will want to set the baud rate on the
console line in ttys.  My suggestion:

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure

look in gettytab for the std.* entries.. also to determine what gets
printed look at the default entry..

If you are running off the serial line you will probably want to set
the parity too.

I just changed my default entry in gettytab to:
	default:\
		:np:fd#1000:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#9600:

Regards,
Dean.