Subject: Re: System hangs with the disk light on
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/1994 00:53:07
> >It's always been in single-user mode, too (I haven't successfully gotten
> >to run level 3 yet, but I haven't really tried).
>
> I don't understand this. Is "run level 3" some reference to SysV run
> levels? BSD unix doesn't have these, [...]

You caught me.  Yes, I'm much more familiar with SysV than BSD, but I've
seen the light, I'll change my evil ways, I swear  :-)

But I still obviously have much learning to do.  Not only do I not know
what to call it, but I don't know how to get there, either.

I think I've got enough of a /var tree and whatever to almost make it.
When I hit ^D from the # prompt it runs through the /etc/rc script with
what seems to be some measure of success and finally puts out the date
and time and a message something like "init: kernel security level
changed from 0 to 1", and what I would expect next is something like
"login:", but I get nothing.

I'm not completely clueless, however.  I could find no file in /etc that
indicates which ports to put login prompts on.  In SysV it's
/etc/inittab (which also defines "run levels").  Do y'all still use the
same /etc/ttys as 4.3BSD?  Anyone want to suggest an entry for the
console?

 I realize this is a pretty embarrassing question...

--
Ted Spradley                tsprad@metronet.com             +1-214-484-5356
Brisco: "...the more I learn the less I know."